Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mars Needs Moms

I meant to post this book on Mother's Day, but I forgot. I blame it on Mommy Brain. You know, that thing that happens to your otherwise normally functioning brain after having children. Forgetful doesn't even begin to describe it. However, since it's for the good of the children, I'm happy to sacrifice a few things. Like my vocabulary and my ability to finish a thought before moving on to an entirely new one. They say that once the kids move out you may experience a partial recovery. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!


A friend of mine had been telling me to read this book for awhile and I wanted to - I really did. We're big fans of Berkeley Breathed in this household. But wouldn't you know, our library didn't have a copy. I also stay away from the bookstores as much as possible - they're far too dangerous for someone like me. It seemed like I would never have a chance to read this wonderful book. And then something happened. The Book Fair at Andrew's school. A book fair, my friends, is even more dangerous than a book store - trust me! I think it has something to do with the fact that a portion of the proceeds goes to help the school. Yeah...I'm a sucker for that. This time was different - I was determined to purchase the two newest Magic Treehouse books and ONLY those books. $50 later, I left with a bag full of books and Mars Needs Moms was one of those.

If you've ever had a mom who annoyed you and made you do ridiculous amounts of chores, or you are a mom who has forced your children to eat their vegetables (for their own good) - then you'll identify with this story.

Milo is a child who doesn't understand what's so special about mothers. Milo's mother is, well, she's the mom who was abducted by Martians. Luckily, Milo was able to sneak onto the rocket ship before it launched into outer space and discover the reason for his mother's kidnapping. You can't really blame the Martians - who else is going to drive them to soccer games, make their lunches or bandage their boo-boos? When Milo's space helmet breaks and he finds himself unable to breathe the thick air on Mars, his mom is right there to sacrifice her own helmet for him. Finally, Milo understands what's so special about mothers.

Amazing illustrations, great humor and a touching story - all the elements you need for a great book. You'll love it - and it's definitely worth buying!

No comments: