Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Need My Monster

I was immediately drawn to this book by the cover illustrations.  It happens a lot, because if I like the illustrations then there's a good chance I'll like the story.  And that's exactly what happened with this book. 


Ethan is a little boy with a monster  under his bed and he's happy with this arrangement.  Until one night, when Gabe leaves a note explaining that he'll be gone fishing for a week.  Poor Ethan doesn't know how he'll survive - he can't sleep without knowing his monster is under the bed.


Throughout the night Ethan is visited by substitute monsters, but none of them can replace Gabe's ragged breathing, nose-whistling and the scrabbling of his uncut claws.  Ethan sends each monster away, resigned to the fact that he simply won't be getting any sleep that week.  


I love this book!  The hilarious dialogue between Ethan and the monsters combined with beautiful, colorful illustrations make it a lot of fun to read.  

No comments: