Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

We read this a couple of months ago for book club and it was fantastic! I love to read biographies; it's fascinating to find out about who people really are and the experiences that have shaped them.

Before reading this I knew next to nothing about Julie Andrews. I'd seen a few of her movies - Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Victor/Victoria and the Princess Diaries, but that was the extent of it.

Just like anyone else, she's had her share of trials and I was amazed at some of the things she went through. As we were talking about this at book club, a couple of the women pointed out that she didn't seem to be bitter about the negative experiences. There wasn't any malice in her voice, she simply stated the way things were. She seems to be a very forgiving and kind person.

The book begins with some family history and ends just after she gives birth to her daughter Emma. I'm hoping that she writes another book that talks about her career after that point. I looked her up on Wikipedia and her accomplishments are extensive. What I like most about Julie Andrews is that, even in writing her story, she never seemed to have the 'Diva Attitude' that is so prevalent in celebrities today. All of the things she did, all of the famous people she met and worked with - it was simply the way things were, it was her life.

No comments: