Thursday, June 3, 2010

When Dinosaurs Came with Everything

I have to give this book 5 stars. I love the illustrations, I love the story, I love the humor.

Here's how it begins:

"Friday is errand day. My mom goes on boring errands, and I have to go with her."

After reading that first page, I knew Andrew was going to love the book. He hates running errands with me, and the kid in the story looks a lot like Andrew does when I tell him he has to come with me.

Eventually, despair turns to delight as the little boy discovers that on this particular Friday, complimentary dinosaurs are being given with every purchase - in every store! And we're not talking about tiny plastic dinosaurs. These are huge, scaly, real-life dinosaurs. As if his mother needed one more thing to bring home!

I don't know about you - but that's pretty close to the way my shopping trips go. I have a few specific things on my list and end up with all kinds of things in the cart. No doubt it's junk that I'm going to be picking up off the floor in a few hours when the kids are tired of it. Luckily, the mother in this story is able to find a use for all the dinosaurs who now inhabit her backyard.

No comments: