Monday, February 7, 2011

No, David!

I'll be the first to admit that the illustrations in this series of books are definitely not my style - and a little bit creepy - however, I was able to look past all that long enough to read the books to my kids.

Children hear the word "NO" quite a bit in one day - I should know, because I say it to my own kids. Sometimes, when I have the energy, I try to switch things up a bit. You know, make things sound more positive. But let's be honest - when the kids are going crazy, you're trying to get dinner on the table, the phone rings and for the fifth time that day you catch your son going for the cookie jar, positive language is the last thing the children will hear coming out of your mouth. Really, I'd be shocked to find a child who couldn't identify with David.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise to me that my boys LOVE this book. Especially the part where David runs (NAKED!) down the street. It's a great opportunity to discuss with the kids why certain behaviors are inappropriate.

As for the strange illustrations...it works. This series is all about the kid's point of view so David's weird, triangular nose, beady black eyes and pointy teeth are perfect just as they are.

No comments: