Saturday, July 10, 2010

100 Cupboards

I found this book randomly on a shelf at the library and was immediately intrigued. I think I've mentioned before that I judge books by their covers; I can't help it!

This is the story of a young boy named Henry, who is sent to live with his Uncle, Aunt and cousins in Henry, Kansas when his parents are suddenly kidnapped. Before too long, Henry discovers that beneath the plaster of his bedroom wall there are cupboards - 98 to be exact. Upon further examination, he learns that these are actually portals into other worlds.

I had a lot of unanswered questions throughout the book. I really wanted to hear the back story of these cupboards and the different worlds, but it didn't go into that as much as I would have liked. By the end of the book, Henry has only been into one cupboard; although he did let something out of a cupboard...

Overall, I really liked the story and I'm glad I had the second book so I could start reading right away. I did think the first one was a little slow - but maybe the author left it open so that he could write a prequel to the series. Who knows?

I have to say, these books are listed as being for readers from 9-12 years old, but I disagree. N.D. Wilson's writing style was pretty deep - even for me. And...it might be too scary for that age group. You never know though, my 5 year old loved the first two Harry Potter books and Voldemort didn't even phase him.

No comments: