Monday, July 12, 2010

The Blue Castle

I read this for Book Club a few months ago and absolutely loved it! I bought my copy online and received this older copy, which was a surprise, but I like it.

The story is about Valancy Stirling who, at 29 years old, is an old maid living with her mother and aunt. The family considers Valancy to be sickly and very plain. When she's not being overlooked, she's the butt of family jokes.

Early in the story, Valancy's doctor tells her that she has only 6 months to live. At first Valancy is devastated, and then she realizes that she's tired of being the person her family expects her to be and she decides to be the person she's always wanted to be.

Shocking her entire family (and the community), Valancy becomes outspoken and carefree, eventually leaving home for her own adventure.

I loved the humor in the book; it was a very easy read. I also loved the message that the author conveys; that our life is what we make it, and beauty truly comes from within.

1 comment:

Shonda Hayes said...

Amber, this has always been one of my favorite books. I've probably reread it 10 times. I love this blog! I look forward to seeing what other books you enjoy. I've already got a couple ideas of books I need to read.
Hope you're enjoying Virginia. I'm glad I found your blogs.