Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ballet Shoes

I've wanted to read this book since I heard it mentioned on the movie "You've Got Mail" - that was quite some time ago. One day, while in the library, I happened to look at just the right spot on the shelf and saw it sitting there; I might have let a small squeal escape my lips. I grabbed it from the shelf and put in in my bag, amazed at my good luck. Someone else could have come along at just that moment, looking for this particular book, and I would have had to fight them for it! I did, however, make it home from the library without any unfortunate accidents. Can you imagine a fight in the library? Hushed and yet intense arguments - 'I found it first!' and, 'No you didn't - can't you see it's in my hands?' I wonder if the librarian would have kept her voice to a whisper as she tried to break up the fight...

Kathleen Kelly's recommendation did not disappoint - I loved this book! My 5 year old son wanted to read it with me, which was a little shocking - normally his interests revolve around video games and tormenting his brother. We only read one chapter each night, so it took some time to get through, and some of the language was hard for Andrew to grasp. Who am I kidding? I had to reread a few sentences here and there!

The book is set in England in the early 1930's and is about 3 orphan girls who were adopted by a man called Great Uncle Matthew. Affectionately called Gum by the girls, he is a geologist and found each of them while on different expeditions. While they are still young, Gum leaves on another expedition and doesn't return. The girls are cared for by their nanny and guardian, Silvia, but after a few years, they begin to run out of money.


Without giving away too many details, the girls eventually attend a school for dance and stage training. Each of the girls develop their own talents - but I'm not going to spoil the fun. Pick up a copy and read it for yourself - you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

Willefam said...

Have you seen the movie they made from this book? It is only a few years old and has Emma Watson (Hermione) from the Harry Potter movies. I really enjoyed the movie so now I'll have to read the book! The hard part is that they are out of print and hard to find!! Thanks for the review:)

Amber said...

I did see the movie and I liked it, but I liked the book much better. I think that's usually the way it goes though. :) I know for sure you can get Ballet Shoes as well as the other Shoe books on Amazon or Borders, so they shouldn't be too hard to find!