Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Golden Hour

This is one of those books that I randomly picked up from the bookshelf at the library. I find it strange how some books stand out more than others. The child in me still believes that books have the power to draw me to them - calling my name; it's the kind of magic that only exists in a library. Bookstores are wonderful, but in a library, I can take home any book I want; there are no price tags.

I loved this book from start to finish. It drew me in, and I never wanted to leave. Fortunately, I just checked Amazon and this is a series, with two more books to read! You can expect to see my review on them later on.

The story begins with Rowan and his little sister Nina who arrive in Owatannauk, Maine to spend a month of their summer vacation with Aunts Agatha and Gertrude. Neither one of them are thrilled at this prospect, especially since the Aunts seem to be a bit eccentric - Rowan is sure that Aunt Gertrude can read his mind.

Soon they meet two other children, Xavier and Xanthe, who are also visiting for the summer and they four of them become friends. Aunt Gertrude tells Rowan to explore the area - that is, everything except the Owatannauk Hotel. Fearing that it's haunted, Rowan nearly does stay away. Nina, Xavier and Xanthe have other plans, however, and they are suddenly dragged into an adventure filled with danger and excitement.

I considered reading this to Andrew because it's a fast-paced adventure, but a majority of the book happens during the French Revolution. That's probably a bit much for a 5 year old. I'm sure he would tell anyone who listed about the people who had their heads cut off, but they may or may not respond to that positively. I'll probably introduce my kids to this book when they reach Jr. High level.
I do have to say that this book increased my desire to learn more about Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution. It's a gory subject really, but fascinating all the same. I wish I could remember what we talked about in History class, but apparently I learned what I needed to pass the tests and then promptly forgot the rest. Maybe I can sit in on my children's history classes?

No comments: