Friday, May 21, 2010

What a Party

So far I've only posted books that I really love, so I thought it was time to change things up a bit. I've mentioned before that I like to randomly pull books from the shelf - I can be in and out of the library in 10 minutes if I absolutely have to. I'll admit it, I judge books by their covers. Especially children's books - the illustrations can make or break it for me.

In this case the illustrations were great - Keith Graves is very talented. It was the story that bothered me. I still can't quite put my finger on what irritated me and since I've already returned it to the library I can go back and look.

I guess it just didn't make much sense to me. It seemed...disjointed somehow. The book begins by talking about this great hut that Froggie lives in and how much he loves it. Then on the very next page he's on his way to his grandfather's birthday party and the only thing he cares about is the song that he's going to sing as a gift.

He FINALLY sings the dumb song and everyone goes home. Except that Froggie isn't ready to go home and his friend Rabbit has to patiently convince him to leave. The story left me wondering why in the world this little frog is living on his own when he acts like a two year old. Seriously? The party is over dude - hop on home. Everyone else has.

With that said, I must tell you that my kids loved this book - especially my two year old. Maybe he relates with the tantrum at the end? Simon asked for it every nap time which made me dread nap time. I never thought that would be possible.

No comments: