Monday, January 10, 2011

Cold Sassy Tree

This was another book club pick and I enjoyed it immensely! I read it in high school, but had forgotten many of the details, so it was a lot of fun to read it a second time.

The story takes place in Cold Sassy, Georgia, 1906 and is told from fourteen year old Will Tweedy's point of view. His grandfather, after being a widower for only three weeks, elopes with a woman half his age. As if that weren't bad enough, she's an outsider - a Yankee - and the whole town goes into an uproar.

The characters in this book are so well written, it felt like the town came to life as I was reading. I've heard some people say they didn't like the book, but I thought it was a great portrait of small town life. It was a very humorous and touching story. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

No comments: