Friday, January 14, 2011

Horns and Wrinkles

This is another book that I decided to read based solely on the fact that the cover looked interesting. Yeah, that's right - I judge books by their covers! I'm not ashamed to admit it. I did, however, read the synopsis on inside jacket and found the story line to be just as intriguing as the illustrations which originally caught my eye.

In Blue Wing Minnesota, just off the banks of the Mississippi, lives twelve year old Claire and her obnoxious bully of a cousin, Duke. The town may be small, but as Claire soon finds out - it's anything but ordinary.

Claire loves adventure and certainly finds a lot of it on the day that Duke dangles her (by her ankles) off a bridge. Saved from the nasty fall by an elderly woman in a rowboat, Claire begins to witness some of the river magic that townsfolk talk about.

For instance, Duke suddenly grows a rhino horn in place of his nose for refusing to do an act of kindness. Not long after, Claire finds Duke's parents mysteriously turned to stone. Relying on the help of the old lady who saved her, three river trolls and some lying crickets, Claire must face an ornery Rock Troll in order to put things back the way they were.

This is book is filled with fantastic humor and beautiful descriptions. I couldn't put it down and I would certainly suggest it to anyone - children and adults!

No comments: