Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning

I started reading this series years ago, when I worked at a bookstore and was aware of every new book to hit the shelves. I read the back cover and was immediately intrigued.

Lemony Snickett warns readers not to read the book, but to put it down right away because the story of the three Baudelaire children is a miserable one. I thought it must be some kind of joke, so of course I decided to read it.

As it turns out, Mr. Snickett wasn't joking. There really isn't anything happy in the story of Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire. Tragically, their parents die and they are sent to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf. Nothing could have prepared them for the misfortunes they would encounter while under the care of this cunning and repulsive man.

Perhaps I should have given heed to the warning on the back cover of this book, but it's too late for that now. I'm immersed in the story and I must find out what happens to these brilliant, yet unfortunate children. I may as well mention that my 5 year old son is very much engrossed in this 'Series of Unfortunate Events', and thankfully, has not suffered any ill effects from the sad tales found therein.

No comments: