Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Red Wolf

I just read this for the first time with the boys tonight and really liked it. I asked Andrew what he thought and he replied, "Funny." Yikes! If he's already moved into one-word answers then I can only imagine what the teenage years will bring!

But let's get back to the book...

Roselupin is a pretty, red-haired princess who has an overprotective father. So much so that he has a tower built and locks her there in order to keep her way from the wild world. I must say, I sympathized with the father on this point - doesn't every parent want to shelter their children from the awful things of the world?

Roselupin sadly watches out her tower window each night, wishing she were allowed out of the tower. On her seventh birthday, a mysterious gold box arrives with the words, "For Roselupin" written on it in jewels. At this point, my overprotectiveness kicks in and I'm thinking, "Who sent that box and should we open it? Who knows what could be inside. A bomb squad should really check that out first!" Then logic kicks in: Hold on there, sister! It is just a fairy tale after all.

Roselupin does open the box and finds it filled with yarn and an invitation to make anything she wants. Her father laughingly suggests that she make him a scarf, but Roselupin has other plans. Working through the night, she knits herself a bright red wolf suit. When she puts it on, she magically grows large enough to break out of the tower and finally experience freedom.

The story ended differently than I would have expected, but I liked it and would definitely recommend it.

No comments: