Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Magic Treehouse Series

I debated quite a bit on posting about each of these books individually, but since there are over 40 books in the series - all of which follow the same format - I decided to save myself some time and write about them collectively.

Andrew and I love these books. And I mean LOVE them. I remembered shelving all of these while working at Waldenbooks and at the time, it was a chore - there were so many of them! However, I knew that they were popular and always wondered what they were like.

When Andrew was in preschool, he started bringing home scholastic book orders and they had the first 12 in a set - I bought them immediately. What can I say? I just had a hunch that we'd like them.

I was right. We devoured those books and couldn't wait to bring home more from the library. Every night when I read them to Andrew he would say, "Just one more chapter, please! I just want to find out what happens!" I, myself was dying to know what would happen, so I usually gave in. I'm such a pushover!

The beginning of the series introduces us to Jack and Annie who are brother and sister. On their way home from school one day, they discover a treehouse in the woods that is filled with books. Just FYI, I was hooked right then and there. I've always wanted a treehouse and I love books! What's not to love about this series? Anyway, Jack and Annie find - accidentally - that if they point to a book and say, "I wish I could go there!", that the treehouse will actually take them to that place.

In each place they travel to there is a task to complete. Sometimes they need to help someone and other times they need to solve a puzzle. Jack is a thinker and always consults his books before making a move. Annie is the exact opposite - she's impulsive and thinks with her heart first. Together, they make a good team and always complete their task just in the nick of time.

I love the values that are taught in these stories. Teamwork, kindness, selflessness, service, problem solving, perseverance - I'm sure I could go on. Mary Pope Osborne is also very careful about her research and weaves each story around facts that she herself has researched. I just can say enough good things about the series. Read them! I know you'll love them!

No comments: